Did any NATO country use the SR-2 seat in the F-104G/MAP aircraft

Diskutiere Did any NATO country use the SR-2 seat in the F-104G/MAP aircraft im Luftfahrzeugtechnik u. Ausrüstung Forum im Bereich Grundlagen, Navigation u. Technik; I'm researching ejection seats that went into (and sometimes out of) US Aircraft sold to forces outside of the US. Did any NATO country retrofit...
BWDenver

BWDenver

Berufspilot
I'm researching ejection seats that went into (and sometimes out of) US Aircraft sold to forces outside of the US.

Did any NATO country retrofit the Lockheed SR-2 seat replacing the original C-2?

It might be hard to ID the SR-2 seat.

The SR-2 was similar to the C-2, however, it had a drogue chute in the headbox covered by a white flap. The shot below is from a Jordanian F-104A.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

Anhang anzeigen
Zuletzt bearbeitet:

schlund

Testpilot
Hi Bryan,
as far as I know not.
I am on the Lockheed B,C 1and C2 , S/R-2 seats since many years .
So :

The basic C2 was used by all NATO 104 users for the first years.
In the beginning 61/62 the JTF tested the installation of the MB GQ5 seat that was opted by German air force.
But some problems led to the installation of the C2.

Danmark was the first to install the MB DQ7 when they received their 104s in 64/65.
Because of delivery delays some of the danish 104 flew with C2 until all MB seats were installed.
So the danish C2 received no modification in that short time.

The Q7 series was the modification of the Q5 series mainly with the additional rocket pack under the seat and some other items.
It is a separate family to the H7 seats.

The German air force did a lot of comparison tests at Lockheed and MB for the option to change the C2 to the MB GQ7 in
November 66 and after that the Germans took the MB seat. It was started in 67 and almost finished in 69 to install all aircrafts.
But the Germans modified the C2 with the Talley 10100 catapult and weights in the meantime.

Belgian air force kept the C2 until end of service of the 104 but they used only the TO980 modifications.
This was the D-ring cable cutter, the Talley 10100 catapult and a stronger rotary actuator ( p/n 1000-48 instead of 1000-3 ).

Netherland air force did the same as the Belgian air force with the same modifications.
But maybe they started to test more mods to go for the S/R-2.
I have one C2 here with partly modification parts ( initiator for the powered inertia reel incl. piping, bigger manifold under the seat etc.)
But I have no information that they used a S/R-2 in service.

Italy opted for the MB IQ7 directly with the F-104S and refitted the others also.
Their C2 s did not receive any modification.

Turkey and Greece had some mixed installations since they received some MAP 104s with C2 and
some alreday with MB seats installed from Germany and Italy.
Still in late 1983 an accident happened to a turkish 104 still equiped with a original unmodified C2 seat
( means M10 catapult, 1000-3 rotary actuator , no cable cutter ) and the pilot ejected succesfully.
...I have that investigation report about the seat.

In the manuals it is stated that the full modification to the S/R-2 version including the drogue gun and
powered inertia reel is not installed in europe 104s but in some MAP and US based consortium 104s.
Still I do not have any proof about the consortium versions in US with S/R-2.

So that´s a short summary for now
don´t hesitate to ask anything
All the best, Michael

ps: I did read your posts in the arc forum some time ago 👍

BWDenver

BWDenver

Berufspilot
Really great information!

Thanks for taking the time.

BWDenver

BWDenver

Berufspilot
Michael

Would you mind if I cross post this information into the seat series on ARC Forums?

Regards,

Bryan

schlund

Testpilot
Hi Bryan,
no problem as long as you mention me as source in case someone has corrections or other information.
All the best, Michael

BWDenver

BWDenver

Berufspilot
Absolutly!

HUD696

HUD696

Flieger-Ass
Never come across any in Europe, but as you already noticed, there are some cross-over seats. Ones that have elements of the S/R-2.
As mentioned, the Japanese also het C-2's that looked like S/R-2's.
See this image:

schlund

Testpilot
Hi Ron,
it is not easy to tell because some of the images like this one are not of an active aircraft.
So if someone put pieces together to complete ( more or less) a museum or display aircraft it is not a
valid proof for things in active service.
I also have no proof that the one dutch seat that I have with parts of an S/R-2 was in active service.
Could be that it was an instruction seat....

All the best, Michael

BWDenver

BWDenver

Berufspilot
US training seats usually have “Not For Flight Use” or “Training Only” or words to that effect on them, see attached. Specifically, to prevent some bone head Mech from putting it in a aircraft.

I would imagine other overseas military had similar warnings. Your SR-2 seat likely came out of a real bird, but the rub is to figure out whose bird it came out of….

As to the SR-2 in US F-104C’s, I have run across enough pictures and museum pieces to be fairly confident they were used in USAF F-104C and NASAS F-104 aircraft. The -1’s for the USAF F-104C even mentions it but does not show pictures of the SR-1, probably because the “Powers that Be” felt the seats were similar enough in function so as to not need additional illustration. Once you know what to look for you can ID the seat, provided you get a decent view of the side or top of the headbox.

Anhang anzeigen Anhang anzeigen
Thema:

Did any NATO country use the SR-2 seat in the F-104G/MAP aircraft

Did any NATO country use the SR-2 seat in the F-104G/MAP aircraft - Ähnliche Themen

• NATO Tiger Meet 2024 Bilder

NATO Tiger Meet 2024 Bilder: Das Tiger Meet in Jagel hat begonnen.
  • Testpilot Anatoly Kvochur verstorben

Testpilot Anatoly Kvochur verstorben: Einen Tag vor seinem 72. Geburtstag ist gestern der russische Testpilot Anatoly Kvochur verstorben...
  • NATO Tiger Meet, 03.-14.Juni 2024, Jagel AG 51

NATO Tiger Meet, 03.-14.Juni 2024, Jagel AG 51: Wollen wir hier alles zu diesem Event zusammentragen, inklusive eines möglichen Spotterdays? Wie genau vor zehn Jahren findet auch in diesem...
  • WB2015/16RO Ilyushin Il-76MD Candid "Iraqi Airways" - Trumpeter 1:144

WB2015/16RO Ilyushin Il-76MD Candid "Iraqi Airways" - Trumpeter 1:144: Hier kommt 'kurz vor knapp' mein Beitrag zum Wettbewerb - eine Ilyushin Il-76MD Candid-B im Farbkleid der Iraqi Airways während der 70/80er Jahre...
  • WB2015/16BB Ilyushin Il-76MD Candid "Iraqi Airways" - Trumpeter 1:144

WB2015/16BB Ilyushin Il-76MD Candid "Iraqi Airways" - Trumpeter 1:144: Moin Moin! :) Nach einiger Überlegung habe ich mich nun entschieden... Mein Kandidat für den aktuellen Wettbewerb ist die Ilyushin Il-76MD...