W2020BB Airfix Vought Kingfisher Bureau Number 4597 [USS Missouri, 1944], 1:72

Diskutiere W2020BB Airfix Vought Kingfisher Bureau Number 4597 [USS Missouri, 1944], 1:72 im Bauberichte Forum im Bereich Wettbewerb 2020 - Wasserflugzeuge & Flugboote;
speedgraflex

speedgraflex

Berufspilot

For me, the test fitting process begins with assembly of the fuselage halves. In this case, a pronounced spreading out from top and bottom halves is present. To solve this, I use a technique my father called “Binding,” where locator pins are removed and the halves are taped together as closely as possible, then I boil water in the electric kettle and begin to gently heat the fuselage until the curvature straightens out. This process takes several tries before I am able to tape the fuselage together.

speedgraflex

speedgraflex

Berufspilot

Reference photos will be USN photographs from the period which are in the public domain. I have temporarily fitted the center float together and see that the supporting pylons are simply too diminutive to remain as they are without some alterations. I plan to build a solid connection with CA then reshape the supports. Red arrows point to the changes; blue arrow (top) indicates the presence of a toothpick which I am using to prop the float up/handle for painting.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
speedgraflex

speedgraflex

Berufspilot

I added Milliput and wet sanded the additions as the putty cured; I find that in so doing this leads to less excess putty in the sanding stage. Also: I am working on a clean table surface and prefer to minimize dust. It may be an odd quirk of mine to prefer to work in these stark conditions; however the intrinsic need to keep the surface as clean as possible (a sheet of white acrylic) does wonders for my focus.

speedgraflex

speedgraflex

Berufspilot

Test fit. The provenance of these Airfix molds is an old, old, old Comet “Spotter’s Model” from 1948. I assume the molds are still being used due to the short shot sections and general “wonky” fit issues I am facing. I still need to get the fuse to close!

speedgraflex

speedgraflex

Berufspilot

Reshaping or beefing up the center float continues to be my task. First I embedded two pieces of metal from a twist tie to give me the proper form at the tip, then once the metal was secured by CA, I mixed a tiny amount of a Milliput to beef the float and get closer to its shape.

Anhang anzeigen Anhang anzeigen
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
speedgraflex

speedgraflex

Berufspilot

Sculpting and adding details to the central float has been tricky. The positioning as well as the curvature makes the details difficult to place even with measurements taken. I plan to do something more with the three visible openings, just not entirely sure what, yet. Thank you for looking. I mean that sincerely.

Anhang anzeigen Anhang anzeigen
speedgraflex

speedgraflex

Berufspilot

Aftermarket white metal propeller sold by Joe’s Models of Fulton, Missouri! For the Kingfisher of the USS Missouri! Also, I must thank Marius (Bolleken) who researched and located a source in the United States for the white metal casting. This is a quite rare Aeroclub casting and Joe has a limited stock on hand. A lucky find. A good friend. And a connection to the Mighty Mo herself!

Anhang anzeigen
speedgraflex

speedgraflex

Berufspilot

Two areas to fill - when I added the covers, I located them slightly off from the original drilled locations. I am thinking about using a small amount of Milliput to fill. Normally I would use liquid Mr Surfacer 500 but I want these areas to have a more resilient finish.

Anhang anzeigen
speedgraflex

speedgraflex

Berufspilot
Marius,
Likewise you are a master of seeing the values which old kits provide, in terms of learning new methods, refining established ones, and breathing life into in many cases a forgotten history both for the subject and ourselves.

Thema:

W2020BB Airfix Vought Kingfisher Bureau Number 4597 [USS Missouri, 1944], 1:72

W2020BB Airfix Vought Kingfisher Bureau Number 4597 [USS Missouri, 1944], 1:72 - Ähnliche Themen

• W2020BB Heinkel He-115 B-1 Matchbox 1:72

W2020BB Heinkel He-115 B-1 Matchbox 1:72: Nachdem meine Bv-138 Fertig ist und der Bau sich sehr einfach gestaltete, schiebe ich nun noch die He-115 aus meinem Fundus nach. Der Bausatz...
  • W2020BB Blohm und Voss Bv-138 C-1 Revell 1:72

W2020BB Blohm und Voss Bv-138 C-1 Revell 1:72: Da ich momentan bei meinen anderen Projekten nicht weiterkomme stelle ich noch die Bv-138 hier ein. Das Revellmodell liegt schon seit einiger Zeit...
  • W2020BB - Convair YF2Y-1 Sea Dart - Mach2 - 1:72

W2020BB - Convair YF2Y-1 Sea Dart - Mach2 - 1:72: Teaser...
  • W2020BB Beriev Be-4 Firefox 1:72

W2020BB Beriev Be-4 Firefox 1:72: Mein zweites Projekt ist eine Be-4 von Firefox. Ein typisches Short-run Modell, sehr grob in der Ausführung, viele Gußgrate, schlechte...
  • W2020BB DHC 2 Beaver Airfix 1:72

W2020BB DHC 2 Beaver Airfix 1:72: Heute kam die Post aus Canada und brachte die DHC 2 Beaver Floatplane von Airfix in 1:72. Der Bausatz ist von 1973 und es fehlen die...