W2020BB Airfix Vought Kingfisher Bureau Number 4597 [USS Missouri, 1944], 1:72

Diskutiere W2020BB Airfix Vought Kingfisher Bureau Number 4597 [USS Missouri, 1944], 1:72 im Bauberichte Forum im Bereich Wettbewerb 2020 - Wasserflugzeuge & Flugboote;
bolleken96

bolleken96

Astronaut
Bruce, please write some words to your WIP.
We all like the images but I am sure we all want to know more about your techniques. The images are great BTW.

speedgraflex

speedgraflex

Berufspilot
Copy that, Marius. I realize I have been relying on images to convey form, leaving out function. I modified the kit engine plug with a top from the cap of a Sharpie marker to improve the form. I still need to address the cowling flaps. One scenario has me grind away the rudimentary “suggestions” molded on the cowling and adding individual scratchbuilt ones... another scenario has me simply engraving flaps in the correct number as though these are closed. I am in two minds about this.

speedgraflex

speedgraflex

Berufspilot

edit to add explanation: removed the suggestions of cowling flaps through hand sanding (most control) using 400 grit papers; follow-up to address the thickness and roundness of the structure. It is clearly slightly out of round so I marked sections in graphite pencil and began sanding into those out of round areas.

Anhang anzeigen Anhang anzeigen
Norboo

Norboo

Alien
Really Looks like a lot of work. How did you correct the engine Transmission housing? With a Drilling machine? Or a spare part?

speedgraflex

speedgraflex

Berufspilot
I would like to add the goal for me, with the building of the kit, is to increase the level of detail without completely rebuilding the kit. The major components will be those of the kit whenever possible! If possible. Sometimes this is not possible, however. The center float has already been a challenge! The idea with this approach is for the kit to still be a part of the final outcome; therefore one still sees the kit but in a more detailed way. This is my wish.

The major exception will be the pilot and gunner cockpits which do not exist in the kit at all. For those two open areas I will be employing brass PE from Reheat of the UK, a generic USN set of seats, seat belts and IP.

To continue with the cowling, I am thinking to add a ring of styrene with incised separations to create the cooling flaps.

Anhang anzeigen
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
speedgraflex

speedgraflex

Berufspilot

Tom’s Modelworks of Santa Rosa, California, USA, known for great 1/700 and 1/350 ship detail sets, makes a 1/72 WWII US Naval 2-seater aircraft detail set which includes the Scharff Ring! Between Tom’s Modelworks and Reheat Models, this project has a much better chance of looking the part!

Anhang anzeigen
speedgraflex

speedgraflex

Berufspilot
Greetings,

I hope my post finds everyone well. I have missed you.

As the deadline of December 31st approaches, I took the project out of the box and started to work as best I can in the time that is left. I am also hoping with fingers and toes crossed that the supplies I need to continue are shipped in time; already I am going to have to do some “crazy-make-em-ups” with the final color coats.

I am already moving forward as though I will not be receiving any more parcels this year, which means Intermediate Blue could come from the art store or Home Depot or several decanted cans of leftover paint.

I will take a few photos as well, because I am continuing to address the shape of the cowling, which to my mind is too pinched and oval. I have sanded away the cowling flaps and added three small coats of Milliput to the form.

bolleken96

bolleken96

Astronaut
Beside that your red lines are a bit overstated the issue is clearly visible. Not an easy task to fix. Do you have anything around with matching diameter? If yes you would be able to take the front ring of the kit and assemble it.

speedgraflex

speedgraflex

Berufspilot
Beside that your red lines are a bit overstated the issue is clearly visible. Not an easy task to fix. Do you have anything around with matching diameter? If yes you would be able to take the front ring of the kit and assemble it.
Thank you for your thoughts. I am going to have a look for another piece, but I think I may have to use what I have.

Anhang anzeigen Anhang anzeigen
bolleken96

bolleken96

Astronaut
Hey Bruce,

I really appreciate that you are trying to finish your model (in time) beside of all the counterproductive facts which are blocking your project.
Keep fighting, your Kingfisher is worth it.

Thema:

W2020BB Airfix Vought Kingfisher Bureau Number 4597 [USS Missouri, 1944], 1:72

W2020BB Airfix Vought Kingfisher Bureau Number 4597 [USS Missouri, 1944], 1:72 - Ähnliche Themen

• W2020BB Heinkel He-115 B-1 Matchbox 1:72

W2020BB Heinkel He-115 B-1 Matchbox 1:72: Nachdem meine Bv-138 Fertig ist und der Bau sich sehr einfach gestaltete, schiebe ich nun noch die He-115 aus meinem Fundus nach. Der Bausatz...
  • W2020BB Blohm und Voss Bv-138 C-1 Revell 1:72

W2020BB Blohm und Voss Bv-138 C-1 Revell 1:72: Da ich momentan bei meinen anderen Projekten nicht weiterkomme stelle ich noch die Bv-138 hier ein. Das Revellmodell liegt schon seit einiger Zeit...
  • W2020BB - Convair YF2Y-1 Sea Dart - Mach2 - 1:72

W2020BB - Convair YF2Y-1 Sea Dart - Mach2 - 1:72: Teaser...
  • W2020BB Beriev Be-4 Firefox 1:72

W2020BB Beriev Be-4 Firefox 1:72: Mein zweites Projekt ist eine Be-4 von Firefox. Ein typisches Short-run Modell, sehr grob in der Ausführung, viele Gußgrate, schlechte...
  • W2020BB DHC 2 Beaver Airfix 1:72

W2020BB DHC 2 Beaver Airfix 1:72: Heute kam die Post aus Canada und brachte die DHC 2 Beaver Floatplane von Airfix in 1:72. Der Bausatz ist von 1973 und es fehlen die...